Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

2013 wasn't a bad year. Not really, I accomplished quite a few things, just not a lot of what I had set out to do... but then that's the way of things when one allows themselves to leave their authentic selves isn't it?

365 days ago I was a year removed from ballroom, but it was constantly at the forefront of my mind. I was still holding on to hope that I could be self employed without the aide of a real team. I was thinking about starting school. I was thinking about moving away from Chicago... to a small city that doesn't have a stitch of Ballroom dancing anywhere near it.

2013 saw me start and excel in College. It saw me become more knowledgeable about Nutrition than I ever thought was imaginable. I made it a full year without stitches or other major injury of some sort. (If I have a "great crash/fall/incident of 2013" that I'm missing, please remind me...because I can't remember a single one.) I joined a gym. I got to know myself probably better than I ever had before. It saw me begin new adventures, fall flat on my face, I got a few rugs pulled out from under me... but you know what? I live to tell the tales. I recognized that I CAN NOT live life without passion, and that I was meant to use my skills and knowledge to help others.

I didn't lose touch with many friends, even reconnected with a few old acquaintances and made a few new friends.

New Year's Eve marks the start of My Month... I don't have resolutions yet, because to start anything on New Year's Day feels very forced to me. I still have 12 days before my own personal New Year begins... :-)

However, one of my favorite things about being on this third rock from the Sun is when the world stops to celebrate. New Year's Eve and Day is one of those rare times when hope springs eternal and the world takes pause to celebrate the possible. Even though most resolutions are broken before they begin, the intention is there and for those that can hold on to it... they can transform themselves for the better.

I feel compelled to share my favorite modern day poem. It's one of those things I read often to put perceived chaos into perspective. The layout is my choice, the words were written by the forward thinkers at Holstee:
This is YOUR LIFE. 
Do what you love, and do it often.
If you don't like something, change it. 
If you don't like your job, quit.
If you don't have enough time, stop watching TV.
If you are looking for the love of your life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you START DOING THE THINGS YOU LOVE. 
Stop over analyzing, life is simple. 
All emotions are beautiful. 
When you eat, appreciate every last bite. 
Open your mind, arms and heart to new things and people, we are united in our differences. 
Ask the next person you see what their passion is and share your inspiring dream with them. 
TRAVEL OFTEN; Getting lost will help you find yourself.
Some opportunities only come once, seize them. 
Life is about the people you meet, and the things you create with them so GO OUT AND START CREATING. 
LIFE IS SHORT. 
LIVE YOUR DREAM AND SHARE YOUR PASSION.

Making a fundemental change is not an overnight process, but it can be done. Take the journey with me... let's be inspired together. 

May your 2014 bring you everything you need, most of what you want, and allow you to be inspired for at least part of every single day!

No comments: